Friday 30 September 2016

Production - Choosing my song

Observing all of my research into the genre of rock music so far, I have now chosen my song. Rock itself is a very wide and extensive genre. Therefore, when I was researching into various rock artists, I made sure to include artists from the various different sub-genres. For example, I have researched into the artist 'Black Veil Brides' - who are a rock 'n' roll band; 'Kaiser Chiefs' - who come under the genre of indie rock; 'Queen' - who are a classic rock band, and most significantly, I have researched into the pop-punk/pop-rock band 'Panic! At The Disco' - and this is the artist I am using for my music video.
"Death Of A Bachelor" by 'Panic! At The Disco' 

The song I have chosen to cover by the band is the song "Golden Days" from their latest album 'Death Of A Bachelor'. The reason I chose this song is because I feel it will suit well with a video that adopts the expected codes and conventions of a pop-rock video. Panic! are a band who are known for using expected conventions from other genres within their music and their videos. Often, their videos do not follow a specific storyline and the eccentric style of their videos means they appeal to a wider audience.
The reason I have chosen "Golden Days" as my song is because I believe that I will be able to produce a video with a loose storyline that still appeals to my target audience, whilst adopting the expected conventions of both pop and rock videos.

It's a song with a kind of 'summer vibe', so I am going to film along Southend Seafront - along the various attractions. The main two subjects of my video are going to be 2 teenage girls, and my video will try and highlight their friendship through their adventures. The lyrics of the song discusses the past and the good days that we remember and look back on. Therefore, I myself am going to be the artist for the song. I will film myself lip-synching in my room, using a lot of medium and close-up shots to focus on my facial expressions as well as my clothing and make-up. I want to wear clothes typical of the punk-rock sub-genre - jeans, a black top, chain jewellery and dark make-up. The girls on the seafront will be dressed in brighter colours to help contradict my character (conforming to the typical convention of rock videos to contradict light and dark). The idea is that my character will be reflecting on life when they were younger and the happiest moments of their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment