Friday 9 September 2016

Changing my Media Coursework

This is just a short post to say that I will be changing my media coursework from a documentary about how body image is presented in the media, to a music video with the genre of rock.
The reason I have decided to change my coursework idea completely is ultimately because I do not feel happy with the work I have completed so far on this blog and do not feel it highlights enough just how creative I can be. Moreover, I have unfortunately not been able to film any footage for my documentary as the people I need had other work commitments, meaning they could not spare the time to help me, which I completely understood. However, this left me with no footage and not a lot of time to collate the detailed footage I needed to complete my documentary. Lastly, I just don't feel I really believed in the work I was producing through this documentary. Despite the fact I am highly passionate about how the media present body image, and the affect this has on young girls in our society - the way in which I was producing this did not meet my own personal standards or desires for such a documentary. If I carried on with this process, it would've been a weak documentary and would not have showcased my full potential.


Therefore, I have decided to change to producing a rock music video. This is because music is the art form that I am most passionate about, and it is something that means more to me than I could ever explain. Listening to music is my favourite hobby and I watch music videos on YouTube on a daily basis. I absolutely love watching music videos and how they represent the song. Whilst watching the video, I will observe to see just how the video connects to the lyrics of that specific song and, if it does this in the right way, I often find myself getting extremely emotional observing the work of that artist. For example, when I first watched the music video for 'This Is Gospel' by 'Panic! At The Disco', I felt extremely emotional observing just how the artist chose to portray his experiences of heartbreak through the idea that - when experiencing this - you are almost being prepared for death; you are being dressed up to move on and start a new life in a new way, even though this experience can be very hard. During the lyrics "if you love me, let me go", we see the lead singer of the band lying on a table surrounded by doctors - as he sings this lyric, he attempts to pull himself off the table, but is grabbed by the doctors and held down - no matter how hard he struggles. As a viewer, I felt the pain of watching the video, and immediately observed just how the lyrics related to such an experience and felt like I was sharing this sense of agony with the artist.
So I hope it is evident through this small piece of analysis just how much I love listening to and observing the affects and power of music. I feel I'll be much more creative with such a project, and as my favourite genre of music is rock, I feel much more confident creating a video for a song by one of my favourite artists and trying to portray my interpretation of what their songs mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment