Friday 14 October 2016

Audience Research - Music Video Questionnaire

Before I begin making a final storyboard for my music video, and making the final decisions for filming, I decided I would carry on from my last post and do some extra audience research to really feel certain on the video I'm creating, and if this will attract my ideal consumer.

To do this, I have made a questionnaire outlining the things I feel I need to know in order to make a good music video. The type of questions within the questionnaire include ones about what my ideal audience expect to/would like to see in a music video; how they follow their favourite artists on social media and during promotion for a new album - and how they like purchasing and listening to music in general.

This questionnaire I have written in two formats. One, I have made as an online questionnaire that is on 'Google Docs' which anyone I send the link to can fill out. So, the one I have made on Google Docs I have sent to everyone in my media class. This is just to gain a general idea of what my fellow peers feel they would like to see in a music video and particularly for a rock music video. Additionally, I felt it would be better to widen my audience research, considering it won't just be my focus group who see the final products.







https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11pdglhyTg4WzmgGmsQ4WavVu9VU3QMjotThFO5sT_xw/edit


The next format I used was 'Microsoft Word'. On there, I have simply written my questions in a
questionnaire format and I am going to print four copies to give to each member of my focus group personally. Obviously, I needed to give my questionnaire to my focus group as they all form my ideal consumer and target audience - whom are the people I'm mainly aiming my music video, digipak and online website at.


Below is my questionnaire which consists of 10 different questions, which I believe forms key audience research that will help massively towards the making of my final products;

MUSIC VIDEO QUESTIONNAIRE;

1) Pick one of these genres of 'rock' music;
    - rock 'n' roll
    - punk rock 
    - pop-rock 
    - indie rock 
    - classic rock 
    - heavy metal 
    - psychedelic rock 

2) Do you prefer seeing just the artist for the whole video, or do you like having other subjects as well?
    - The video should focus only on the artist and no one else.
    - I like seeing other people in a video - it gives it more purpose and makes it more interesting to watch.
    - I don't mind, as long as the video makes sense and is easy to follow.

3) Do you like music videos to have a storyline?
    - Yes 
    - No - I don't see the point in them.
    - Yes - as long as it fits with the song and makes sense.

4) Do you think it matters if other people lip-synch in the video? For example, if the artist is a male, would you mind seeing a woman lip-synching the lyrics?
    - I don't think that would work.
    - I like that idea.
    - Only the artist should be lip-synching.

5) Do you follow your favourite artist on any social media?
    - Yes
    - No

6) If yes, what social media platform do you follow them on?
    - Twitter
    - Instagram
    - Facebook
    - Snapchat 
    - Periscope 
    - Vimeo
    - YouTube

7) Do you subscribe to mailing lists for your favourite artist(s)?
    - Yes 
    - No

8) Do you like going on your favourite artist's websites?
    - Yes 
    - No 

9) If yes, which of these do you expect to see on the website?
    - Biography about the artist.
    - Links to the artist's social media pages.
    - Page of tour updates 
    - Links to buy tickets for the artist's live shows.
    - News feed
    - Competitions
    - Other..........................................

10) How do you like to listen to your favourite artist's music? (You can choose more than one)
    - CD
    - iTunes 
    - Listen for free on YouTube 
    - Spotify 
    - Vinyl 
    - Other.................................................



















 




No comments:

Post a Comment