Sunday 17 July 2016

Analysis of "Interview With A Murderer" Channel 4 Documentary



- Below is my analysis of 6 shots taken from the Channel 4 documentary - "Interview With A Murderer". This interview has most definitely become a favourite out of the ones I have recently watched, mostly because of the lasting effect it has had on me since I watched it. The way in which it was filmed and then edited together - as well as the additional after-effects placed on - resulted in a piece of television that is extremely empowering and long-lasting. The mystery surrounding the death of paperboy Carl Bridgewater became one of the most extreme 'who done it' murder cases of the 1980's, and has remained a mystery ever since. Everyone appears to have come to the conclusion that the man responsible for the murder was a man named Bert Spencer - yet he has never actually been convicted, because no conclusive evidence can be placed against him. Thus, this documentary is particularly interesting since he agrees to be interviewed by a criminal psychologist Professor David Wilson. The documentary creates a constant tension and uncomfortable atmosphere, as well as a opposition between Bert and David. Opinions of both subjects change throughout the documentary and although an answer appears to be reached by the end, I as a viewer was left feeling uncertain and flustered at what I had just witnessed. 

- Interestingly, the shots I have chosen to analyse all come from the first 10-15 minutes of the documentary. Conclusively, this has given me inspiration for my own documentary. I believe I will most likely end up creating an extract from a documentary that is the first 5 minutes of the whole piece. This is because I found the first 5 minutes of this documentary the most intriguing. From the very first shot, I was completely taken in by what I was watching and wanted to carry on, just to see what it was about and what would happen next.

- Lastly, I have identified this documentary as EXPOSITORY. I have come to this conclusion as it most definitely covering a controversial issue, it uses a lot of voiceover and direct address in order to connect with an audience, and despite the use of facts and figures, the final outcome of the documentary is opinionated and leaves a viewer to come to their own decision. Although, this constant attempt to build a relationship with the audience, as well as the use of hand-held camerawork, may place this documentary under the sub-genre of PARTICIPATORY; particularly from the perspectives of Professor David Wilson, whose involvement in the case of Carl Bridgewater and his interaction with Bert are of strong focus throughout.



No comments:

Post a Comment